How To Use Lavender Oil For Sleep
The benefits of a good night’s sleep can’t be overstated – yet so many of us struggle to get enough shuteye on a regular basis. If you’re finding it hard to settle at bedtime or waking up during the night, using lavender essential oil for sleep is a tried and tested natural way to help you catch some more ‘zzz’s.
Does lavender oil for sleep really work?
There’s been a lot of research done around the benefits of lavender oil for sleep and relaxation, and time and again, studies have found that it can have a profound effect on our sleep.
Lavender can help calm the nervous system, reduce restlessness and disturbed sleep, and may boost a sense of general wellbeing and quality of life. In one study, people who breathed in the scent of lavender before bed experienced more deep sleep and felt more refreshed when they awoke the next morning. It’s also been shown to decrease blood pressure, heart rate and lift the mood.
Coupled with good sleep hygiene – that is, having regular nightly routines in place and a relaxing bedtime environment that promotes consistent, uninterrupted snoozing – it seems lavender oil for sleep is a winner. But are all essential oils created equal? If not, which lavender oil is best for sleep? And what’s the best way to use lavender essential oil for sleep to make the most of its benefits?
Which lavender oil is best for sleep?
While you might think that grabbing any old lavender oil will do, there are more than 40 different varieties of the popular purple flower – so you want to make sure you pick out the right one! The species that is thought to have the best therapeutic properties and is most commonly used for medicinal purposes is Lavandula angustifolia. This is the type of lavender you’ll find at In Essence.
How to use lavender essential oil for sleep
There are several different ways you can use lavender oil as part of your nightly routine to promote better sleep. Pick one or try them all!
- A diffuser or vaporiser releases a fine mist of essential oil and water into the air, dispersing the aroma throughout the room. Simply fill the tank with water, add a few drops of lavender and switch it on 20 to 30 minutes before bedtime to allow the aroma to gently filter through the bedroom. The beautiful Lavender Luxury Pack has all you need for a good night’s sleep, with the stylish Midnight Diffuser and a bottle of Lavender Pure Essential Oil.
- Add a few drops of pure lavender essential oil to an evening bath to relax and unwind before sleep time.
- Create a bed spray to mist over your sheets and pillows before settling in for the night by mixing 2 cups of distilled water with 10-20 drops of lavender.
- Mix 5 drops of lavender oil with 12ml of a carrier oil of your choice to create a relaxing massage oil, just perfect for unwinding of an evening.
- Add a couple of drops of pure lavender essential oil onto a tissue or facecloth and tuck into your pillow, or even the collar of your PJs, before you go to bed to inhale the relaxing scent all night long.
- Mix a few drops with a carrier oil, or use a specially made roller applicator (like the ie: Sleep Essential Oil Roll On) and dab the calming oil directly onto your skin. (Be sure not to apply undiluted essential oil to the skin, as this may cause irritation.)
Where to put lavender oil on the body for sleep
You can put lavender essential oil almost anywhere you like – just remember to dilute it first and do a patch test to rule out any allergies or irritations. Our temples are a known pressure point and gentle massage of the area can be calming, making it a perfect place to tap on a few drops of lavender oil while breathing deeply to take in the heady aroma.
You may also like to massage a little oil onto the inside of your wrists – another pressure point associated with sleep – or the back of the neck, at the base of the skull. The soles of the feet may be far from your nose, but they are touted as another great spot to massage essential oils, given the various reflexology points in the area – plus, who doesn’t want a relaxing foot rub before bed?!Shop Lavender